Sunday, December 8, 2013

My Top 10 Favorite Xmas Songs of All Time!

What is it about Christmas music that makes us instantly light up? Perhaps because it brings back fond memories, we only get to hear it once a year, or because we get to sing along (they're so damn catchy!)?

Whatever the case I think everyone has at least one song they can't get out of their head around this time of year.

Here is a list of my top ten favs.

10.  "Please Come Home for Christmas" by Bon Jovi 


Lets get real. My Mom is a die-hard Bon Jovi fan so you better believe we listened to this on repeat every Christmas. It's one of those sad bluesy tunes that gets stuck in your head. I had never seen the video before now and of course Jon got mega-babe Cindy Crawford to be his leading lady! I love the complete 90's-ness of it- makes me like the song even more.  And no wonder my Mom is in love with him- look at that bone structure! How this guy was alone on Christmas we will never know.


9. "Little Saint Nick" by The Beach Boys


"Oooooooo Merry Christmas Saint Nick..." This song is so cheesy but the beat is really catchy! I forget about it until it comes on and then it gets me singing along. My favorite part is when they sing " Run Run Reindeeeeeeer!" I can see them all strolling on the beach with their surf boards and Santa hats. Classic.


8."Happy Xmas (The War is Over)" by John Lennon


Such an uplifting song- standing for peace-with adorable kids singing. You can't go wrong with a meaningful Christmas song by John Lennon. 


7. "Father Christmas" by The Kinks



It's basically about Santa getting beat up by the kids of the hood demanding money. I know, its the complete opposite of a jolly Christmas song but it is classic rock n' roll and somebody had to write it! 

 "Father Christmas, give us some money
We got no time for your silly toys
Well beat you up if you don't hand it over
Give all the toys to the little rich boys!"


6. "Baby it's Cold Outside" by Bing Crosby & Doris Day


A classic that has been replicated by many but my favorite is by Bing Crosby and Doris Day. Of course a guy would use the line "But baby its cold outside..." in order to keep you in his grasps but never the less this is such an adorable duet. Makes me wanna curl up with a cutie for the holidays! :)


5. "Christmas Is" by RUN DMC


YES! A perfect marriage of Christmas and hip-hop! Everyone knows I love my hip-hop.This is one of my favorites to put on while trimming the tree. It has a great message to if you really pay attention to the lyrics.

 "I'm from the Ghetto, does this mean
I get no toys or presents beneath my tree?

I wrote my list, I made my wish
Is dis what Xmas means to me?"



4. "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey



Ohhh yeah. Of course this one made the cut! Deemed one of the most played and popular Christmas songs ever its no stranger to my favorites. There's something about being out shopping or in your car when this song comes on that makes you think you are Mariah Carey herself. I start belting out all the high notes like "All I want for Christmas is youuuuuuu...Baaaabbyyyy!" When this song comes on you know its Christmas time! How cute is Mariah tobogganing down the hill to meet her hot date Santa Claus!? 1994 in all its glory ;)


3. "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt (& later by) Madonna



I love both versions! Of course any Christmas song talking about a 54 convertible- light blue, a duplex, checks and a diamond ring has got my vote. The pouty voice gets me every time. I turn this on and before you know it I'm swaying around singing "Think of all the fun I've missed, think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed. Next year I could be just as good, if you'll check off my Christmas list. Boo-doopi-doop!" 



2. "Christmas All Over Again" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers




Almost my favorite Christmas song ever because it just gets you dancing! Its such a cheery song and sums up all the great things about Christmas we all look forward to; sitting by the fire, kissing under the mistletoe, mom's shopping. Definitely nostalgic for me. Hard to find a good video though!

"And over town, little kids can get down. 
Christmas is a rockin' time
 Put your body next to mine
Underneath the mistletoe we go, we gooooooo."





And my number ONE favorite Christmas song of all time is.....








The LEAST expected....











Drum roll please!
















1. "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses

(No decent video!)


Guitar riffs. Bells. Horns. Rapping. Probably one of the corniest songs ever written but something about it makes me happy! It's also where I think I had my first introduction to "rap". The song is basically about a girl who doesn't want anything to do with Christmas this year.She is fed up with all the madness and just wants to be alone. Turns out she is sad because she has been chasing a guy around all year and they could never seem to meet up so she is all Bah humbug and alone for the holiday but then she ends up meeting him in the grocery store and they end up spending Christmas together. Ahh romance. Love this song. Don't judge me. :) 

"Bah, humbug! No, that's too strong 

'Cause it is my favorite holiday 

But all this year's been a busy blur 
Don't think I have the energy

To add to my already mad rush 
Just 'cause it's 'tis the season. 
The perfect gift for me would be 
Completions and connections left from

Last year, ski shop, 
Encounter, most interesting. 
Had his number but never the time 

Most of '81 passed along those lines."



That's it! I recommend listening to these babies while your trimming your tree or getting ready for a holiday party to instantly get you in the holiday spirit!


Rockin' around the Christmas tree,

<3 Sab













No comments:

Post a Comment