Monday, April 7, 2014

The California Life


This Sunday, like a kid on Christmas morning, I woke up unbelievably excited because I was going to the beach! I couldn't wait to take the hour drive to destination: Paradise. I happily slathered on my SPF, packed some sandwiches, snacks and of course wine along with my beach blanket, threw on my shades,and was out the door. Oh, and of course, naturally, I dressed like a modern mermaid, spritzed my hair with sea salt spray, and  even packed on the gold foil shimmer eyeshadow. :)

A Bay Area girl through and through I decided a couple years ago to move to San Diego. It was a great few years of living with two of my best friends, club hopping in the Gaslamp, meeting amazing people, and of course practically living at the beach. I got really spoiled as many San Diegans do, and probably the reason they never leave, because they either get the luxury of living on the beach or having access to it within 10 minutes. Now that I am back in the Bay Area I have realized that it was the best decision I have made in a long time. I feel a deep connection to this place I call home and wouldn't have it any other way. It's not 75 degrees all year round but I like it that way. We have everything and more here; art, culture, diversity, amazing food and of course sky-high rent prices but the one thing that has been calling my name to head back down south is the hot sand, crisp breeze and smell of the ocean one can only find at the beach.

Although I no longer reside in Sunny San Diego I am unbelievably lucky to be a California girl. We have every terrain possible within just a few hours drive. Want snow? Head to Tahoe. Want city? San Francisco or LA is a hop skip and a jump away. Want mountains, hills and camping? Umm, yeah beautiful Yosemite and many more amazing campgrounds exist here. Want the ocean? Drive an hour to the coast nestled in the beautiful redwoods of Santa Cruz. Which is exactly what I did this Sunday.



Who needs San Diego when I can drive an hour to the Santa Cruz coast!? Luckily we have been going through an insane heat wave this "Spring" and I was able to go visit the sunny sands of Capitola in April.
My friend and I had the BEST day. We didn't listen to the radio on the entire drive through the beautiful 680 through San Jose and along the windy CA 17 and instead just lusted after the beauty of the green hills, valleys, and the way the clouds float in the crisp blue skies. "This looks exactly like Italy"  my friend said. "We live in the most beautiful place ever", she continued and I can not help to agree.

Once we reached Capitola and found parking we headed down the hill towards the ocean breeze but were stopped by the perfect metaphysical shop that one could only discover in a sleepy beach town. Its called Avalon Visions.  It reminded me of the one I used to frequent in Ocean Beach in San Diego called Tree of Life and I was happy to find something comparable here in the Bay Area.  We spent an hour or so observing a photo of a woman's aura being captured, talking to the lovely shop owners and perusing the crystals and oils. In case you haven't realized I am a witchy woman at heart.

Amazing selection of crystals for an affordable price at Avalon Visions

Each oil serves a different purpose. The "Money drawing" oil actually has strips of cash in it. I ended up getting the "Divine Love" oil because, well, why not?


After purchasing some rocks, oils and candles we plopped down on the beach. The sand was beneath my toes and I was one happy lady!The rest of the day consisted of beach napping, reapplying the SPF, playing with a Shitzu-Yorkie mix named Bella, complimenting little-ones on their rad swimsuits, drinking wine with strawberries, and just generally chillin. It was so relaxing. On the ride home in my best friend's convertible while blasting and swaying to the dopest beats on the radio I could not help but to be overwhelmed with gratitude for being a California girl.



Outfit Anatomy
Bathing Suit - Target
Mermaid Skirt - Twirl, San Diego


Brushing off the sand,


<3 Sab


No comments:

Post a Comment